Crescent Bay (PC) Review

I think this game is officially a first for me. As I write this, I have officially finished a "lost" game of sorts. You see, it was a game I got back when I was subscribed to Humble Bundle's monthly subscription, so I could install and play this one. However, the game was never sold in any store (even Humble Bundle) and even now, the only place the game is still readily available is the Trove on that service, so only subscribers can get their hands on it. But is it worth that hunt? I am honestly not so sure.

You are not a normal person. You thought your gifts were normal and everyone had them as a kid, but this was wrong. The words never came to anyone else's ears, revealing the hidden secrets of the world. Today, however, you decided to visit a friend, only to find out your gift is going to be very very important. It looks like she was attacked, and your gift is perfect to find out what exactly happened.

You will do this in first person as you look around the the main room of her apartment via selecting words (up to three) which when combined will psychically show you a set of events that occ urred in the room. You will then be tasked to set them in the proper order to pull it all together. This should not take you a long time as the game was designed to be completed in a single sitting. I myself finished it in just shy of an hour (including a restart cause of a glitch) and really once you finish it, I can not imagine any reason at all to come back. There is just not enough here.

But what is here, I have to say looks absolutely fantastic. In only really focusing on so little space, those spaces got a lot of love and attention to detail. Unfortunately there is no music to speak of accompanying this but the little voice acting there is fits exceptionally well, leading to a rather nice if brief little scene.

Unfortunately the gameplay behind these events has some issues which can easily get in the way and may discourage some gamers from even getting started. You see, when you start the game you are given a journal with tabs to sort out a list of possible words and you have to read the room to decide which sets of words (or even single ones) will reveal a spectral scene. So your biggest opponent in this game is really if you would choose the same word(s) to describe the scenes as the developer. The room itself contains all the clues you need, but it can be very hit and miss to figure out which set of words will rouse which parts of the scene and, at least until you get a scene or two to appear, even which ones exist. So yeah, this game can be a bit frustrating until you get the ball rolling.

Bugs: Unfortunately I can not say the game ran flawlessly either. Do not get me wrong, performance-wise it ran perfectly for me, but the "tutorial" did not show the instructions for me the first time I played. And since the game doesn't let you move till you follow those steps, I honestly thought the game had broken down completely, not letting me use the keyboard to keep playing. Starting over proved me wrong (I didn't quit, just went to the main menu) proved me wrong, but it is an issue that can easily happen to you.

Overall: I'm not sure I can really recommend this game, I'm afraid. It's not bad, but it takes some patience to get into it... and then it's over so fast you are left wondering why. You don't even get a satisfying ending. Instead you are left with a feeling like this was only the first chapter and the developer was hoping if this was popular enough they would get funding to make a full length game out of it. This does not appear to be in the cards, however, as looking up the game doesn't even offer pirated copies and the game's page is gone not even 2 years after the game is released. That isn't to say what's here isn't interesting, it certainly is. But it just doesn't give you enough. Unless you are subscribed to the Humble Bundle monthly bundles in any way, shape, or form, the sheer effort you will have to make to find this game (and risk of viral activity) just makes it not even remotely worth your time.

Score:  


5/10



System Requirements:
  • Unfortunately due to the nature of the only way I know to acquire this game, I have no way of finding the specs for this game.
System Specs:
  • Ryzen 7 (2700) 3.2 Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce 1660 (6GB VRAM)
  • Windows 10 (64 Bit)
Source: Unfortunately, I am unable to find a regular means to acquire this game. The only reliable and safe way you seem able to find to get this game is to have a subscription to Humble Bundle and find it in the Trove.

No comments:

Post a Comment