Extra Life 2018 begins! (And a much overdue recap)

Well, officially, Extra Life began within the first week of January (and probably the 1st), but for us at the Red Sector, it begins now. We have settled into the new year and it’s time to return. If you want to help us, there is a brand new thermometer on the side of the page which will lead you to the team donation page. And update, Extra-Life has heard the complaints! Clicking the big green donate page will now open a wizard to take you through the process of donating in the team’s name!

At this time, however, we are still VERY early in the year, so as much as donations are welcome (and if you choose to help us, thank you so much, from me, from my team, and from the kids we will work together to help), right now I think it’s more about recruiting. So how about it? Do you want to help kids out in your local hospital? Do you want to do so by playing video games? If this sounds good to you, please come check out www.extra-life.org and get the details! And thank you for your time.

But I believe on that note, I have a very long over-due recap for the 2017 event, so come on inside if you are interested in that.

As always, the big event started the night before, but this year, that would be Saturday instead of Friday. One of our group had weekend hours making their time off be Sunday and Monday instead of the normal Saturday and Sunday, and it wasn’t even a second thought to push our time a day forward to accommodate. So Saturday we cleaned up around the house before Max and I packed up three full-blown computer systems (Abraxas, the MCP, and the Paradox Machine) and two laptops and headed North to meet with Trifith and BottledOctopi like we did the year before. But this year, the two of them produced an even better layout with a lot of open space. So we setup the machines and brought up the main Extra Life twitch stream to keep tabs on how well the event did for the year. It was a very nice relaxing night before the big event.

Then came Sunday Morning, when we began playing in earnest, and I started by taking on and moving to complete a game I started for the Halloween season: Corpse Party. With only 2 chapters left, it was pretty much an assured task to start with. Following that, it was time to play Warframe for a while and we introduced Octopi to the game as a team. A lot of fun was had, even as we had to figure out some bugs around the network configuration (basically, our work around was that one of us in the room had to be host for the game to work right).

By the time the evening rolled around, Max and Octopi were playing Never Alone while Trifith played Factorio while I made my way through the rest of the Devil May Cry remake, and to be fair I enjoyed the game far more then I expected to. But by this point we were now in the early morning hours so I tried to pock something I could stand and play so I wouldn’t pass out…. did not choose great as I pulled out Deponia.

Oh well, I managed to stay up the full time along side Trifith and Max, and when the whole thing was over our team had raised a little under $550. We have broken this record before, but still it’s not a number to sneeze at. And as an event we broke records again, breaking $10,000,000 for the year. So over all, I would call it another successful year and we can NOT wait to start this new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment