Extra Life 2021 ReCap

 

Well folks, another year is in the books, and while different, it was an absolute blast! For starters, I did have to delay my own weekend run due to family getting together and the idea of n hour drive either way after being up 24 did not sound like a smart or safe time. So last weekend like many others I sat back and watched the main stream over whatever else I was doing. And that weekend proved an amazing run as the charity raised over $3,300,000! Anyone who played that weekend should be proud to be a part of that.

But for me this weekend was my big day and we have on our end brought in $450. Now the charity event is not yet finished and if you would like to help us help the kids, I am honored and you can find my team page at https://www.extra-life.org/team/RedSectorShutdown (and as always, thank you for helping us help the sick kids who really need it). But if you want a more detailed review, step on inside.

Unlike most years, I did not take a day off to prepare this year, but with good reason: this year I was going it alone. With the pandemic still ongoing, getting together in person with the team was not going to happen. But this may have also been a blessing in disguise as I find my medical situation a little different this year. It's nothing serious, so please don't worry about me... but it does mean some extra preperation I am still getting used to, so to be at home instead of at a friend's for a few days was probably a better idea anyway. On top of this, Thursday happened to be Veteran's Day which I had off to get any supplies I might need and setup the games we would play. I took full advantage for my single player lineup, but Friday night would be when talking to my friends, I would install our possible multiplayer titles. Then it was time to rest before starting fresh at 8 AM Saturday morning.

And start I did, diving right into Little Nightmares which I played from start to finish, breaking only for a lunch and bathroom break. The review will be coming soon, but suffice it to say, it was amazing and creepy looking. Seriously one of the best art pieces I have ever played. But the game itself had issues particularly with depth percepation issues. Seriously I wish at least parts of the game played in 2D, particularly around platform/hook jumps.

With this game down, it was time to open HammerWatch, which is a nice retro-style dungeon crawler, but proved exceptionally tough playing as a sorcerer. I expected the health to be low, but Im not sure I could have taken that first boss, but I didnt really find out for while playing this, my buds joined in and told me it was time to open up one of the multiplayer games. We were gonna go blow shit up in Star Trek Online.

Now if you read my stuff back in the Live Journal days, you know my history with this game was not good. I was one of the people who bought it when it first launched and had serious enough tech issues to quit within a week, but that was literally back in early 2010 and since then the game has changed hands, gone free to play, become a positively reviewed game on steam and is still receiving regular updates and expansion packs! With my friends getting into it, it was time to dive into a new MMO.

And dive we did! All of us were either fairly new or had not played in so long we might as well be new... so we banded together to become a small fleet who's slogan is "SCREW the Prime Directive." I myself am playing a "Mad Vulcan" while my friends are the kind who "don't believe in phazers." It was a good time, if not a flawless one.

First and for-most, this was my first session... not theirs, so when we got together, we did so at level 59... I was level 4. Yeah, that battle was hilariously short. But once we figured out what was wrong, we began blasting Klingons out of the sky like the ghost of Kirk himself was smiling down upon us. (Emperor be Praised.) And we ran around like this till 4 in the morning, when even the game breaking down around us for one land mission couldnt stop us from having fun!

But about this point, the group went to bed and left me to finish my event.... and I tried with more HammerWatch. this time trying it on easy with the "recommended" class, the ranger, which just showed me how screwed the sorcerer is in early game, but it was also repeating everything I did for hours before (why I was on easy... trying to blast through it). Still, this couldnt keep me awake and ultimately I gave up at 6:30 in the morning, retreating for a few hours.

This game would be part of the finish of the event when I woke up, but not by choice as much as needing to fill in an hour or so. You see the last single player game I had prepared was Hitchhiker, thinking it to be the full game. Turns out despite the change in name in the humble bundle version I have, it was still only the first ride... 1/7th of the game and maybe 40-minutes to an hour of the game.... so we finished up with HammerWatch before heading out for errands and getting an ingredient I forgot for tonight's slow cooker.

Overall it was an amazing experience as always and last time I looked, we had already broken $10,000,000 for the year. And Im already excited to get things going for 2022... even as I am still exhausted. Hope your weekend was as good as mine and keep things awesome, gamers!

No comments:

Post a Comment